Friday, May 23, 2008

The Longest Time

In what is surely the longest absence ever for a blogger, I have decided to return to the fray and start blogging again. The only problem now is to get people to actually read it! It is curious that I start this again just as exams are heating up but procrastination being the mother of all new projects I thought, why not? Also, I was on Samantha Power's blog and she has inspired me to start again. Her blog is here:

http://samanthapower.blogspot.com/

However, before I stumbled across this, a friend provided me with an essay she wrote about Romeo Dellaire called 'A Hero for Out Time', the first paragraph of which is below. It is one of the most powerful and moving essays I have ever read:

A Hero of Our Time

By Samantha Power

In most wars it is images and artifacts that emerge to shape our memory of events. The recent Iraq war may be remembered less for the toppling of Saddam Hussein's statue than for the pile of naked bodies in the Abu Ghraib prison. The Bosnia war gave us the stick figures looking out from behind barbed wire in Serb-run concentration camps and a Muslim woman who escaped Serb guns in Srebrenica but who then hung herself from a tree in a refugee camp. Rwanda will be remembered for the scores of whitened, bloated bodies that bobbed down the Kagera River, and for the proud, humbled visage of the Canadian general Roméo Dallaire.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More will be posted on here soon. As I said I just need to recruit readers (cyber space is such a lonely hell when there is no one to talk to).

No comments: